If you accidentally deleted WhatsApp chat history, messages and attachments on Android phones, like Galaxy S5, S4, you can get them back. In this article, we will show you different ways to recover deleted WhatsApp data. We will introduce how to get back your recover deleted WhatsApp messages or chat history with the chat app, we will also recommend a more powerful Android data recovery which is easy to use and free to download.
If you have any backups of WhatsApp chat history, you will be able to recover chat history from your backups. If you deleted any Chat history or messages without backup, you can still recover lost messages, attachments from the WhatsApp automatic backups. It is because WhatsApp automatically makes backups every day at 4 AM (your local time) and stores them on your phone’s internal memory (only given that there is enough free space) or external microSD card of your Android phone. What you will need in order to recover WhatsApp messages is to uninstall the WhatsApp, then reinstall the chat app again. During the installation process, you will be prompted to restore your message history. Simply tap Restore and everything less than seven days old is restored.
- Recover WhatsApp Chat History from recent backups
- Recover WhatsApp Chat History from older (less recent) backups
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Open the WhatsApp database or backup folder. Decide which backup file you want to restore.
- Rename that file from “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt7″ to “msgstore.db.crypt7″.
- Install WhatsApp.
- When asked to restore, tap Restore.
What are the disadvantages of recovering WhatsApp chat messages from backups?
- The automatic backup files of your WhatsApp chat history and messages are only valid for 7 days after last saved. Make sure you import your chat history before it expires! You can’t find or restore data from backups that are more than 7 days old.
- You will lose the newest WhatsApp messages. Current chat history that has not been backed up yet will be lost upon restoration. That is to say you will lose all of the messages that you have sent and received since the backup was created.
- You can’t restore chat messages if your SD card and/or chat history is corrupted.
- You can’t restore chat history if you have a different phone number than when you backed up your chats.
- If you run a manual backup, it will overwrite the most recent automatic backup file.
We know that new messages sent/received after a backup, and deleted before the next backup, cannot be restored. If you want to keep a copy of the newest WhatsApp messages, you can create a manual backup from
- How to recover recent WhatsApp chat messages without losing newest chat history?
WhatsApp > Menu Button > Settings > Chat Settings > Backup conversations.